6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old April 20th, 2014, 01:38 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Next I pulled and pushed on the hub thinking it should move at least a little. My book says "remove the drive gear next" but nothing was budging. So I was like, FINE, let's tap you with a HAMMER a little and see what pops loose!

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

And this happened:

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Not exactly what I wanted, but hey it's progress!

If you didn't know already, this piece is not connected to the hub. It just slides on over it and the bolts that hold the wheel!

So that came off and I'm looking at the brakes. The little rubber bits that hold the juice in looked really good. I'm guessing they've been replaced recently.

At this point I figured the socket thingy, which is called both a "Spindle Socket" and a "Slide Wrench", is what I needed. I went to O'Reilleys and the guy there really put some time into trying to find me the right one, like 20 mins - really. But he sent me home with that 2 3/8" one I mentioned before. It didn't fit.

I got it returned and decided I'd look for one online tonight. If anyone knows exactly the right size I'd be happy to borrow that info from ya!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old April 20th, 2014, 01:55 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

It was here that things got a little un-focused.

I couldn't go into the hub anymore. I was stuck. I turned my attention to the dirt clod that should have looked like a front axle. I grabbed my scaler again and BZZZT! Off came the layers

Then the neighbors came out to do some early Easter stuff so I put it away. Can't get them all ticked off at me.

I moved to an oil change. I had the filter pre-ordered last year and I had 2 5 gallon containers of Rotella. Why not, right? I washed out my oil pan and put it under Cecilia.

She has a HUGE drain plug. It's 1 1/8 inches! I needed one of the special sockets I bought for rear end castle nuts to get it loose.

The drain plug was dripping before I even touched it. I got it out. Oil gushed everywhere. Be sure your pan is in the right place and that it holds a LOT. There's a little metal um...scarf? on the oil plug that I guess keeps it from leaking. Mine didn't work, but it looked OK.

To help it behave like it should I put some of this grey silicon (for high torque areas like rear end gaskets etc) on the metal scarf.

Then I let it dry a bit so it wouldn't make it stick to the oil pan too. By the time I finished the oil had quit falling out so I stuck a shop towel in it to keep it plugged.

Then I started taking off the oil filter. It takes a 5/8 inch wrench and the bolt you're turning is spring loaded so as you take it off it'll pull away from the big metal housing, until it POPs the housing back to the nut with a BANG! If you're not ready it'll scare the dickens out of you!

NOTICE: You need to empty your oil-filled pan now because more oil is coming out of the filter and it'll overflow your pan.

By the way, this pic also shows that brain eating Road Draft Tube in the foreground. It's sharp and any time you're under there it'll try to bite you in the face. It also shows my busted exhaust pipe on the right. I just discovered today that it's cracked at the joint too

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; April 20th, 2014 at 02:16 AM.
Old April 20th, 2014, 02:41 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

I moved the oil pan under the filter and finished taking it off. It fell in with a plop. According to this picture gravity reversed itself at that moment and it fell up instead of down. Thanks Gravity!

Lift up the metal housing and the filter itself will fall right out.

And here's where things get funny again.

RockAuto sent me this filter for my baby.

Do you notice anything different?

The new filter is like 3 inches longer than mine. ARRGH! Guess what isn't in stock anywhere around here? That's right! My filter! For reference, the filter that fits is a CarQuest part number 85121. It'll be here Monday.

FuelOilAir.com says Fram part number CH106PL is also a compatible part if you can't find CarQuest.

So there's two part numbers that work. Both nowhere in driving distance of me.

I'm completely stuck until Monday on both projects. Is the world trying to tell me something?

I turned my attention to the oil filter housing. It got a good soap and water cleaning, then a good hand cleaner (fast orange) scrubbing because Dawn didn't cut this oil. Next it got a wire wheeling.

Then we (The powder puff came home from her track meet here) moved it to the Painting Stump.

A nice coat of primer

Then a good glossy coat of heat resistant black paint. Good as new!

I debated putting Herculiner on it to keep it safe under the truck but it was originally black gloss so I wanted to stay true to the original color and texture. Plus I didnt want to have the herculiner get all over the nut/seal and make it leak.

That's it till Monday when I'll have a filter to put in it. Then I'll get back on the wheel as soon as the socket gets here.

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; April 20th, 2014 at 02:49 AM.
Old April 20th, 2014, 03:04 AM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

Fetch you still did not get the outer snap ring. If you look at the pic with the tape measure and look at the wheel hub. You will see a step in from the widest outside part of the hub. The part the wheel slides on. That flat part just inside is a snap ring. You need to find the spot where it is split and work a screwdriver between it and the hub. Then pop it out. Then the outer locking hub assembly will come out and your spindle nut socket will fit in. I wish I had one to show you. I keep thinking of the line from O Brother where art though. I don't want any bleepedy bleep FOP I am a dapper dan man. I don't want no bleepedy bleep 1/2 ton stuff I am a 3/4 ton man. Barry. Next I will explain my earlier pics.
Old April 20th, 2014, 03:11 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
Fetch you still did not get the outer snap ring. If you look at the pic with the tape measure and look at the wheel hub. You will see a step in from the widest outside part of the hub. The part the wheel slides on. That flat part just inside is a snap ring. You need to find the spot where it is split and work a screwdriver between it and the hub. Then pop it out. Then the outer locking hub assembly will come out and your spindle nut socket will fit in. I wish I had one to show you. I keep thinking of the line from O Brother where art though. I don't want any bleepedy bleep FOP I am a dapper dan man. I don't want no bleepedy bleep 1/2 ton stuff I am a 3/4 ton man. Barry. Next I will explain my earlier pics.

Dang it! I was so proud of myself for finding the little booger inside

So it's in here somewhere?

Old April 20th, 2014, 03:16 AM
Banned

Fetch it's killing me I can see the outer ring in at least 5 or 6 pics. In the pic with the socket it's the stepped in part just inside the widest part of your wheel hub. You are holding the socket up to the outer part of the locking hub. It comes out. Barry.
Old April 20th, 2014, 03:18 AM
Banned

Crap I wish I was better with a computer. That first stepped in part from the widest part. In a little and out a little.
Old April 20th, 2014, 03:54 AM
Banned

Here is a pic of a bolt on flange selectro hub. If you look at the tip of the knife you will see a bolt on flange. On your hub at this point it goes into your wheel hub. It is splined. Right there is the outer snap ring on your hub. Basically at the tip of the knife. Barry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (1.71 MB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)
Old April 21st, 2014, 02:36 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1000
aphaynes is on a distinguished road

Too funny on the oil filter. Same thing happened to me. The one I got was the same oversized Fram filter you showed in your pics.

After some research it turns out there are 1 quart and 2 quart oil filters available.

We obviously needed the 1 quart. I could not find the Carquest number of the filter that was in mine, but found it's look alike with the Wix 51123. When it arrived, it was a match...except the oring that came with it did not fit the canister housing mine was in...which was leaking from not having one at all.

Since I already had a roll of gasket material I used to make a gasket for the distributor, which was also missing its gasket, I quickly made one for the oil filter housing. So far, no leaks.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 06:23 AM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
Hantke is on a distinguished road

Great work! every time i come back and read through every bodies builds it makes me even more bummed out that i don't have one of my own!!! Especially since the guy down the road has a 64/65 K1500 (Yep, 4wd!) that he's been parking in his front yard. I think he is taunting me! Thanks again for the info!