6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club Bitcoin now accepted here! 
Pay Dues
Pay Dues or become a Site Supporter

Go Back   6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club > 6066 GMC Truck Club Forum > Builds and Journals

Builds and Journals This is where the magic happens. Photograph & document your GMC build progress for posterity.
NOTICE - Photobucket will delete your pics after a time. Use another host if possible.

Old April 23rd, 2014, 02:49 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Quote:
Here is a pic of a bolt on flange selectro hub. If you look at the tip of the knife you will see a bolt on flange. On your hub at this point it goes into your wheel hub. It is splined. Right there is the outer snap ring on your hub. Basically at the tip of the knife. Barry
I'll have a minute today to take another look. Hopefully I'll get it right this time

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

When can you make it over here?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Quote:
Too funny on the oil filter. Same thing happened to me. The one I got was the same oversized Fram filter you showed in your pics.

After some research it turns out there are 1 quart and 2 quart oil filters available.

We obviously needed the 1 quart. I could not find the Carquest number of the filter that was in mine, but found it's look alike with the Wix 51123. When it arrived, it was a match...except the oring that came with it did not fit the canister housing mine was in...which was leaking from not having one at all.

Since I already had a roll of gasket material I used to make a gasket for the distributor, which was also missing its gasket, I quickly made one for the oil filter housing. So far, no leaks.
Thanks Aphaynes! That's good info. I passed all the parts numbers on to Rock Auto to help them update their choices.

Quote:
Great work! every time i come back and read through every bodies builds it makes me even more bummed out that i don't have one of my own!!! Especially since the guy down the road has a 64/65 K1500 (Yep, 4wd!) that he's been parking in his front yard. I think he is taunting me! Thanks again for the info!

4WD is an amazing bonus. I got it because I could drive offroad if necessary (or for a little fun with the kiddos) but I found that sometimes the back tires just don't pull. They spin.
No problem, just shift into 4wd and RAAWRRRR! The torque is scary!
Cecilia will change the earth's rotation if I don't get off the gas pretty quick!

Have you talked to the guy to see if he'll sell?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 03:03 PM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
Hantke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'll have a minute today to take another look. Hopefully I'll get it right this time

When can you make it over here?

Thanks Aphaynes! That's good info. I passed all the parts numbers on to Rock Auto to help them update their choices.

4WD is an amazing bonus. I got it because I could drive offroad if necessary (or for a little fun with the kiddos) but I found that sometimes the back tires just don't pull. They spin.
No problem, just shift into 4wd and RAAWRRRR! The torque is scary!
Cecilia will change the earth's rotation if I don't get off the gas pretty quick!

Have you talked to the guy to see if he'll sell?
He might sell, but since school picked up again i'm nice and broke, but as soon as i have some cash put together i'll give it a go. I think it has original 305 V6 in it to! never got close enough to verify because i'm not that big of a snoop.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 08:49 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
He might sell, but since school picked up again i'm nice and broke, but as soon as i have some cash put together i'll give it a go. I think it has original 305 V6 in it to! never got close enough to verify because i'm not that big of a snoop.
Curse you, school! That and work can really rain on a hobby

Good luck with the hunt and hang in there!

Barry, I peeked at it again today and there's no ring where the knifepoint was. There's a rubber o ring toward the front, but nothing back there.

There's a knobby thing on the back of it though, but when I cleaned it off it looks like just a knob. Not a bolt or anything

I also found a great looking breakdown but it just says to use the bolts that come on the truck

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 11:27 PM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

Take your finger and go towards the part where the hub cover goes. The first step in between the long cylindrical part and the part the hub cover turns on right between the 2 is the snap ring.
Old April 24th, 2014, 12:05 AM
Banned

Truck: None. Sold them all and became a hermit.
BarryGMC is on a distinguished road

I wiil be brief. Its hard to type on the phone. This is. Little different than yours but the snap ring is in the same spit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140423_153707.jpg (620.8 KB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140423_153840.jpg (602.1 KB, Multiple views, 4 clicks)
Old April 24th, 2014, 12:53 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:
I wiil be brief. Its hard to type on the phone. This is. Little different than yours but the snap ring is in the same spit
NOW I think I got it! its not the same kind of snap ring, it's a spring looking thing on the outside of the axle gear that the first ring was on. And it's inside the hub.

If I were any dumber I'd be buying magic beans. Thanks Barry!

Old April 24th, 2014, 04:46 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 1502 Fenderside
Foley is on a distinguished road

I got it returned and decided I'd look for one online tonight. If anyone knows exactly the right size I'd be happy to borrow that info from ya!

[/QUOTE]

I dug around in the bottom of my rollaway and came up with a spindle socket that used on (I Think) the Selectro hubs of my old flat fender jeeps back in the 70's. It is six sided, ID of 2 and 3/16s, OD of 2 and 1/2, and it is 2 and 3/4 " long cause it has to go inside the hub a bit. I'll try to do that picture thing Fetch so you can see it. It's been a long time, but I'm pretty sure I bought it specifically just to work on front hubs. Problem is I can't remember if it was the Warn hubs or the Selectro hubs. Foley
Old April 24th, 2014, 05:26 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 1502 Fenderside
Foley is on a distinguished road

Sorry bout the fuzziness and the John Deere racing stripe. I think that came in the 90's when I quit playing with old jeeps and went into antique tractors. If this will work for you Mr. Fetch, PM me a mailing address and it'll be on its way tomorrow. Foley
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 138_3881.JPG (614.2 KB, Multiple views, 1 clicks)
File Type: jpg 138_3882.JPG (581.8 KB, Multiple views, 1 clicks)
File Type: jpg 138_3884.JPG (555.1 KB, Multiple views, 1 clicks)
Old April 24th, 2014, 05:15 PM

Truck: '63 K1000, '66 C4000
Rockdriller is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Next I pulled and pushed on the hub thinking it should move at least a little. My book says "remove the drive gear next" but nothing was budging. So I was like, FINE, let's tap you with a HAMMER a little and see what pops loose!

And this happened:

Not exactly what I wanted, but hey it's progress!

If you didn't know already, this piece is not connected to the hub. It just slides on over it and the bolts that hold the wheel!

So that came off and I'm looking at the brakes. The little rubber bits that hold the juice in looked really good. I'm guessing they've been replaced recently.

At this point I figured the socket thingy, which is called both a "Spindle Socket" and a "Slide Wrench", is what I needed. I went to O'Reilleys and the guy there really put some time into trying to find me the right one, like 20 mins - really. But he sent me home with that 2 3/8" one I mentioned before. It didn't fit.

I got it returned and decided I'd look for one online tonight. If anyone knows exactly the right size I'd be happy to borrow that info from ya!

Dude....I love it when you chronicle your mechanical woes for all to behold.
First problem....your hands are uncharacteristically clean....for the project yer working on...
The pic that I copied shows the snap-ring to be removed pretty clearly. Just inside of the end of your hub is a "inside" style snap-ring. Find the break in that surface and use a O-ring pick (nose-picker) to pry that thing loose.....pop it out of there..make sure the snap-ring is off of the end of the axle (outside snap-ring)...and the whole hub assembly will be free to slide out. It may hang up a little while sliding by where the snap ring used to be but it will come out with some patience....and maybe some PB blaster to soften things up a bit.

Oops on the second picture .....Interesting.... but not instrumental for successful hub removal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fmaphub.jpg (28.1 KB, Multiple views, 1 clicks)
File Type: jpg image001.jpg (37.1 KB, Multiple views, 5 clicks)
Old April 25th, 2014, 07:04 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Quote:

I dug around in the bottom of my rollaway and came up with a spindle socket that used on (I Think) the Selectro hubs of my old flat fender jeeps back in the 70's. It is six sided, ID of 2 and 3/16s, OD of 2 and 1/2, and it is 2 and 3/4 " long cause it has to go inside the hub a bit. I'll try to do that picture thing Fetch so you can see it. It's been a long time, but I'm pretty sure I bought it specifically just to work on front hubs. Problem is I can't remember if it was the Warn hubs or the Selectro hubs. Foley
Thanks Foley! Let me see what the measurements are like when I get into this kryptonite castle of a hub and I'll get back with ya.

Quote:
Dude....I love it when you chronicle your mechanical woes for all to behold.
What do you mean? I've got mad mekannik skillz!

Really I hope anyone else having the same trouble won't have to make the same mistakes if they see mine. Kinda like a "what not to do". Some of this stuff is definitely not...I cant think of the word, but it doesn't readily come to mind what you should do to get the things apart, even when looking at a diagram. Like, why not just put some bolts into it to hold it so you can take it apart easy? Well, I'm learnin. I'll get there!

Quote:
First problem....your hands are uncharacteristically clean....for the project yer working on...
The pic that I copied shows the snap-ring to be removed pretty clearly. Just inside of the end of your hub is a "inside" style snap-ring. Find the break in that surface and use a O-ring pick (nose-picker) to pry that thing loose.....pop it out of there..make sure the snap-ring is off of the end of the axle (outside snap-ring)...and the whole hub assembly will be free to slide out. It may hang up a little while sliding by where the snap ring used to be but it will come out with some patience....and maybe some PB blaster to soften things up a bit.

Oops on the second picture .....Interesting.... but not instrumental for successful hub removal.
You busted me. I make the Powder puff do all the work then I sidewalk supervise and take the pictures

I'll try again tonight if I can get free. I happen to have a booger picker too that the PO of my house left here in the yard.

And...is that a kid coloring a DOG in that last pic?!?

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; April 25th, 2014 at 07:11 PM.